‘Nasi Lemak’ is probably the most famous national dish of Malaysia. The basic version contains rice that has been steamed in coconut milk, then topped with anchovies and a spicy sambal condiment. Luxury versions will include meat or seafood curries.
Whether you like it plain or lavish, there’s no right or wrong way to have it.
Malaysians tend to be more puristic about their nasi lemak whereas in Singapore, they have theirs with some Chinese-inspired ingredients like fishcake and tofu. It just depends on how you like yours done. Here are some authentic recipes we found that you’ll be able to able to recreate in your own kitchen.
- Nasi Lemak Recipe by RasaMalaysia.com
- Malaysian Nasi Lemak by AllRecipes.com
- Nasi Lemak Kampong Style Wrapping by Madam Kwong
- Nasi Lemak from Kuali.com
- Nasi Lemak from SeleraMalaysia.com
Selamat menjamu selera!